A homeless lifestyle of hunger, desperation and hopelessness for our veterans is simply not acceptable!
.. at Project STRAIT, we are doing something about it!
Project STRAIT is a comprehensive program serving veterans with moderate to severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and other combat related emotional conditions. Due to the severity of their mental illness and unable to register for or participate in VA or other support services, many are homeless and/or incarcerated for petty crimes. These veterans fall through cracks within the federal, state and local social services support networks.
Serving Those Who Have Served
Project STRAIT forms a safety net for veterans who “fall through the cracks” by providing intensive community-based mental health and wrap-around services to both male and female veterans and their families. Government funding sources do not cover the full cost of the services we provide – only 60 – 85% in most cases. The remainder of the operational funds must come from donors. Please help us help our veterans with a tax deductible donation.
Each charitable donation goes towards helping our nations heroes.
Project STRAIT for Veterans Ltd. is an IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Project STRAIT For Veterans Focuses On:
- Intensive community-based care
- A strength-based, family-centered, multi-systemic approach to assessment and intervention
- Residential and supported-employment services to aid in restoring and developing daily living skills that help veterans to successfully reside in their respective communities
- Assistance in developing interpersonal and behavior management skills and decreasing the risk of mental and emotional decompensation
- Clinical and support services to assist veterans in managing symptoms, regaining lost functioning due to trauma, mental illness, substance abuse, and co-occurring disorders.
Project STRAIT For Veterans Services
- Diagnostic Mental Health Assessment
- Nursing Assessment and Services
- Physician Assessment and Care
- Individual Counseling
- Addiction Counseling
- Family Training and Counseling
- Group Training and Counseling
- Crisis Stabilization & Intervention
- Peer Support
- Medication Administration
- Life Skills Development
- Supported Employment
- Supported Housing
Project STRAIT Executive Summary
In the period from 2001 to 2008, almost 1.64 million American soldiers had been deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF Iraq) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF Afghanistan). For these deployments and the continued conflicts since, many of these veterans return home with physical and the unseen wounds of war. Sadly, data is emerging about the importance of recognizing that far too often the co-occurring conditions of substance abuse and mental health problems are a common and serious barrier to reintegration into civilian society.
In a study of soldiers who were surveyed after deployment and screened again approximately 6 months later 27% to 35% reported symptoms placing them at mental health risk, including symptoms of PTSD, depression, alcohol abuse, suicidal ideation, as well as self-reported aggression. Another study focused on a group of OIF and OEF veterans seen at VA facilities show data that 27% had 3 or more mental health diagnoses, including depressive disorder, PTSD and substance abuse.
Effective intervention and treatment not only aids the individuals and families to have a healthier and more productive life, but also leads to greater public safety. We owe a great deal to these men and woman who have volunteered to protect our American freedoms. In return, the very least we should provide is the necessary support for them to regain a stable civilian lifestyle.
Why Choose Project STRAIT?
Project STRAIT’s flexible infrastructure assures efficient operations and effective services. Finances, technology, information, and human resources interact continuously to assure smooth resource allocation, maximum leverage of assets, and a fluid business environment. The results are the timely delivery of quality services for the best possible cost.
Project STRAIT maintains a standard of best-practices in financial management. Near-real-time metrics systems and enlightened analytics reporting provide constant monitoring of program metrics, costs, and business operations. Utilization of current technology, back-office automation and cost avoidance enables us to provide quality services while efficiently containing administrative overhead.
- Clients have all needed services available in routine and emergency situations.
- Clients are placed in Project STRAIT managed supported housing.
- Services and treatments are client and family centered and allow clients real and meaningful choices about service options.
- Care is focused on increasing the client’s involvement in treatment, and the ability to successfully cope.
- Services focus on facilitating recovery, not just managing symptoms.
- Family and significant others are included in recovery planning if desired by the client.
- All clients are assessed for dual diagnoses and those who qualify will receive an integrated treatment approach.
One Primary Goal of the program is to assist the client and their entire family system to better manage crisis and conflict that may arise so they may avoid placement in a higher level of care or incarceration.